Main Article Content
Photos of predation of sagitta (Chaetognatha) to fish larvae are presented for the first time for the Black Sea. While analyzing ichthyoplankton samples obtained in May and November in 2017 (94ᵗʰ and 98ᵗʰ cruises of RV “Professor Vodyanitsky”) several sagittas were found with their guts containing fish larvae. Fish larvae seem to have been captured by sagittas in the same way as sagittas in cannibalism cases, with both folding in half at the spot of capture. The data obtained allow us to assume sagittas in conditions of high abundance of eggs and fish larvae in the plankton to be not only a food competitor of larvae and juveniles of fish, as a fodder plankton consumer, but an active predator, being able to play a significant role in the elimination of ichthyoplankton.
2. Dekhnik T. V., Dubrovin I. Ya. Vliyanie abioticheskikh i bioticheskikh faktorov na vyzhivanie ikrinok i lichinok morskikh ryb [Influence of abiotic and biotic factors on the survival of eggs and larvae of marine fish]. Biologiya morya, 1976, iss. 38, pp. 39–46. (in Russ.).
3. Drits A. V., Utkina S. V. Pitanie Sagitta setosa v sloyakh dnevnogo skopleniya planktona v Chernom more [Sagitta setosa feeding in the deep layers of hight plankton concentration during daytime in the Black Sea]. Okeanologiya, 1988, vol. 28, iss. 6, pp. 1014–1019. (in Russ.).
4. Gorbatenko K. M. Raspredelenie, biomassa, mezhgodovaya dinamika sagitt Okhotskogo morya [Distribution, biomass, and year-to-year dynamics of Sagitta in the Okhotsk Sea]. Izvestiya TINRO, 2016, vol. 184, pp. 168–177. (in Russ.).
5. Logachev V. S. Vyedanie lichinok ryb naupliusami balyanusov v eksperimental’nykh usloviyakh [Consumption of fish larvae by nauplius of balanus in experimental conditions]. Biologiya morya, 1971, iss. 23, pp. 160–167. (in Russ.).
6. Logachev V. S. Vyedanie ikry ryb sem. Gobiidae i Blenniidae nekotorymi rakoobraznymi Chernogo morya [Consumption of fish eggs of Gobiidae and Blenniidae families by some crustaceans of the Black Sea]. Biologiya morya, 1973, iss. 29, pp. 86–99. (in Russ.).
7. Mironov O. G. Pitanie planktonnykh khishchnikov: II. Pitanie sagitty [Feeding of plankton predators: II. The feeding of Sagitta]. Trudy Sevastopol’skoj biologicheskoj stantsii, 1960, vol. 13, pp. 78–88. (in Russ.).